Monday 26 August 2013

It's Not Because I Think I'm An Expert...

There are plenty of people out there with opinions on all sorts of subjects that the know little about, generalising, where to me, the exception stands out immediately.

I'm admittedly something of a novice myself with regard to cycling and sometimes because of this blog and otherwise, eg through conversation, I have on occasion felt I'm giving an opinion or advice that I'm not really qualified to give. Which could be true if it was anything particularly technical. Visiting cycling forums, there are people with encyclopaedic knowledge combined with experience spanning decades. Their wealth of knowledge is impressive to say the least and I find myself consulting them on the odd thing or two.

But it isn't and what I can do is give hints and tips about the subject that have worked for me personally, attempting to write and articulate in an entertaining, informative style. (I said attempt...) When you have time to think, stand back, observe a subject or topic, you can state the obvious in a way that won't have hitherto been obvious to you or anybody else...even experts, who might be so focused on complexities that they might overlook the basics.

I can also tell of different sources for bikes, parts, and bargains, (think I'm pretty good at that).

So on that basis, I like to think that I have a valuable contribution to make to the cycling blogosphere.

Just to strengthen my point, another blog I follow, non-cycling related, came up with this, which pretty much nails it:

Your Point Of View Is More Important Than You Think It Is

So, if you're thinking about writing a blog giving advice instead of telling everyone what you've just eaten...go ahead...


No comments:

Post a Comment