Monday 5 August 2013

New Stuff July Part 2

Yes, it's August but I bought these in July. Been buying quite a few new accessories lately, so to keep the blogposts shorter, I've split them out. Here I'm covering an allen key set, some dusters and some chain lubricant.




Even though I got some good made in Germany ones with my Kettler bikes, I thought it was about time I got an allen key set - the ones with long handles for leverage and a "ball" on the end (for hard to reach places). Kept together with a plastic thing and better for home use as they're easier to use than the shorter foldup ones for use when out riding. £5.24 from Evans Cycles, very reasonable, I thought. There are far more expensive and elaborate ones available eg Park Tool, but I thought these would more than suffice in the meantime. Quite like that neat plastic thing for holding them too.

Bought 3 microfibre dusters from one of these pound/99p stores - cannot quite remember. Thought they might come in useful for wiping the bikeframes especially of the Gazelle in this warm weather we're having, making the frame dusty. Given that warm weather and the UK don't usually go in hand, probably won't be using them much...



And lastly, but not leastly, I bought some chain lubricant. Am going to try and follow the advice of the Total Bike Maintenance book and keep my bike chains nice and clean in a bid to keep the drivetrain in good order - something I neglected at first on my first Kettler. This Epic Ride lubricant is described on the bottle as an "all conditions" lubricant providing "long haul durability without the excessive grime build-up common with conventional wet-style lubricants". You're supposed to put lots of it on and then wipe the excess off. Chains are supposed to just have enough lube - too much on the outside attracts dirt etc which can damage the chain as it acts as a grinding paste.

You have been warned.

No comments:

Post a Comment