Friday 8 November 2013

The Appeal Of Cycling - Part 1 - Transport

Cycling, or more specifically, town cycling, isn't the most important thing in my life, but it's right up there.

I've identified 4 areas as to why this is:

1) Transport/utility
2) Hardware
3) Doing it
4) Image/Lifestyle

Except for transport, these aren't in any order of importance. I suppose transport could be classed as more important than the others which could be considered as just nice to have for quality of life.

Anyway, using a pushbike for transport, I find I'm able to get about really quickly, efficiently, cheaply and comfortably for short journeys in fair weather. It's an extension of my legs. For most local journeys, it really is a case of just hopping on, pedaling for 20 minutes or less and you're there.

I think this is the pushbike's forte, and is reflected in the cycling cultures of Holland and Denmark.

In the past, when I haven't had my bike for whatever reason, I find out how expensive motor vehicles can be - either buses or especially by car (as I well remember when I commuted by car, no other way was feasible and our government seemed to be increasing the price of petrol every week). Each time petrol went up by a penny, I had £5 less disposable income...

And when I've had to walk, there's plenty of incentive to get back on the bike, I can assure you. Journeys which used to be quick and easy become slow and arduous, especially if you have to carry groceries, so I avoid it if I can.

Obviously a lot faster than walking, cycling may in many cases be faster than cars, because there's no such thing (yet!) as congestion or roadworks, holding you up and you can ride in areas closed to vehicular traffic. You also don't have to worry about where to park as well as maneuvering out of tight areas like parking spaces. And in my town, parking's pretty expensive too.

I think if more people had the same experience with cycling as transport as I do, its popularity would soar.

See what I could do to make it happen...I know, I could write a blog...

No comments:

Post a Comment